How to Size and Place Lights at a Front Door
- Rule Of Thumb:
- When hanging one light near an entry the light should be about 1/3 the height of the door.
- When hanging two lights near an entry the lights should be about 1/4 the height of the door.
- The center of the light source should be 66" - 72" above the floor.
- Place lights about 8' - 10' apart; about 1' - 2' from the door.
- Lights should be above eye level for most users.
- Pro Tip: When in doubt about size, go bigger. Lighting will look smaller when viewed from the street.
- These are guidelines only - adjust to accommodate height of your door, the height of the users and the scale of your doorway. The correct placement is always the one that works best for you.